Many pregnant women complain of swelling and bleeding in the gums during pregnancy. Scroll down to find out what causes and home remedies for swollen gums during pregnancy, along with ways to address gum sensitivity during pregnancy. Italian for women undergoes a variety of bodily changes throughout their reproductive years. Reproductive years begin as girl strikes puberty. Physical and mental symptoms are caused by the interaction of estrogen and progesterone during each menstrual cycle. In fact, these hormonal interactions help a woman conceive and carry out the changes that are essential to support a pregnancy. Most women are overwhelmed with joy as they consider a new life is growing within them. However, changes that appear due to hormonal changes throughout these nine months can also be very disconcerting. Pregnancy nausea, fluid retention, back pain and other problems can cause discomfort.
Pregnancy can also affect oral health. Swelling of the gums is one of those oral problems that women often experience during pregnancy. So, what causes swelling of the gums during pregnancy? Here’s some information on why pregnant women are very susceptible to swelling of the gums, gingivitis or tenderness of the gums, especially during pregnancy.
Causes of Swelling of the Gums in Pregnant Women
- As mentioned above, estrogen and progesterone levels increase significantly during pregnancy. A woman has to adjust her diet and make several changes in her lifestyle in order to promote proper development of the fetus. The fetus takes away all the nutrients from the mother’s blood that is passed through the placenta.
- Since the amount of fluid retained in the body is high, the fluid is installed in the cells and tissues of the body. Since the gum tissue surrounding the base of the teeth may also retain more fluid, it also appears to be swollen. From conception to the time of birth of the baby, the kidneys are working to ensure that the volume of blood does not sink. It is, therefore, more likely to cause inflammation of the gums during pregnancy increase blood volume and fluid retention. Increased blood flow can also lend a bright red color to the gums.
- Gums are medically referred to as gums and swelling of the gums is referred to as gingivitis. Gingivitis is mainly caused due to the formation of plaque. Plaque is a film of bacteria that forms when bacteria act on food scraps trapped between the teeth. Pregnancy gingivitis is mainly attributed to increased blood flow to the gum tissue. Increased blood flow makes the mucosa or mucous membranes covering the gums more sensitive. Although plaque can be removed if attention is paid to dental hygiene, in the case of pregnant women who do not, plaque builds up and begins to irritate gum tissue.
- This is the reason why slight trauma to the gum during brushing can cause the gums to bleed. Since the immune system can be loaded during gestation, the ability to counteract the bacterial attack can also get affected. Pre-existing gum problems can get aggravated during pregnancy. Therefore, if the gums appear to be red, swollen and bleed while brushing, the wise thing to do would be to consult a dentist. If left untreated, gums recession can progress to a serious dental condition called periodontal disease.
Although hormonal changes during pregnancy make women susceptible to swollen gums, gingivitis occurs only when bacteria begin to act on food debris. Therefore, serious dental conditions such as gingivitis or periodontal disease can be prevented with proper oral hygiene.
- Brushing and flossing regularly can help in preventing the buildup of plaque on your teeth. An electric climber can also be used to remove food leftovers and prevent plaque.
- Women who stain plaque or tartar on their teeth should use an interdental toothbrush that can get rid of food scraps properly.
- If the gums have become very sensitive, you should use a very soft bristle toothbrush, along with toothpaste or gels that are for sensitive gums. Modifying your diet would also make a big difference.
- Foods or beverages that have a high content of carbohydrates promote the growth of Therefore it would be best to refrain from consuming this type of food.
- Make sure you brush your teeth or gargle with salty water or an antibacterial mouthwash after you have foods rich in starch or sugars.
- Go for dentist checkups so any oral problems can be identified This is especially important for women who suffer from gum disease during pregnancy, have an improved risk of preterm birth. It is believed that if the bacteria that causes gingivitis enter the bloodstream and travel to the uterus, it can trigger the release of a fatty acid called prostaglandins. Prostaglandin may affect smooth muscle activity. If secreted in large quantities, it can induce labor. Therefore, take all possible precautions to address the problem of inflammation of the gums, and ensure that the gums are not affected by gingivitis or periodontal disease during pregnancy.
Dental health is very important and should be taken care of at all times. Since gum disorders such as gingivitis can even lead to premature labor, pregnant women should not accidentally take gum problems. Follow a proper dental care regimen in order to avoid this oral problem and consult a dentist as soon as possible if you suffer from gum problems during pregnancy. Timely treatment will surely end this problem orally.
Naturessmile Gum Balm All In One Solution:
Naturessmile Gum Balm has an anti-inflammatory property that also has the power to kill gum disease causing bacteria. If you have other gum damage or disease aside from receding gums, Natures smile Gum Balm can be an excellent contribution to repairing the health of your mouth. There are multiple ways to include Naturessmile Gum Balm into your daily brushing routine. You can use the gel as an actual toothpaste by squeezing a bit onto your brush and using like usual, or you can use the gel as a mouth wash. A final way to incorporate NS Gum Balm into your brushing routine is to apply the gel directly to the gums after following your usual brush and mouthwash routine. Naturessmile Gum Balm is the best home remedies for swollen gums. Book your order by visiting their official site: https://naturessmile.com/